You have heard from friends that chocolates are dangerous for dogs and puppies but no one has explained the reason why.

We can start by saying that chocolates contain an alkaloid known as theobromine, a stimulant that can increase blood pressure and stimulate the cardiovascular system as well as the central nervous system of your pet. The sad thing is this alkaloid cannot be metabolized, things can go downhill for your beloved pets.

The effects of chocolates on puppies

When your puppy has taken theobromine at toxic levels, side effects include hyperactive behavior, muscle twitching, dehydration, whining, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased urination. It can also result in digestive problems, rapid heart rate, and seizure. Symptoms like a rapid heart rate are something to watch out for since this can be fatal for your pet.

How much of chocolate is toxic for your puppy or dog?

This is one of the questions you definitely want to be answered when it comes to identifying toxic levels related to theobromine consumption. The answer actually depends on the age as well as the size of your dog. As a rule of thumb, you can consider this – the larger the dog is, the more likely it will be able to handle theobromine. Take note, however, that the older your dog is, the more difficult it will be for your pet to manage all the aforementioned side effects of theobromine’s toxic levels.

Another factor to consider when it comes to how toxic a chocolate can be for your dog is the type of chocolate that you have fed him. Pure chocolate contains approximately 16 times as much theobromine for every ounce when compared to milk chocolate. White chocolate, on the other hand, is less likely to be toxic for your dogs as it contains insignificant amounts of theobromine. Therefore, you need not to be too worried if your dog accidentally eats a small portion of the white chocolate you have placed lying around.

What you should do when your puppy or dog has eaten chocolate

You have to take note that theobromine can easily get into your dog’s bloodstream. In the event that your pet has consumed chocolate, you have to remember any of the foregoing tips. First, you should induce vomiting in your furry friend right away. This will help get rid of the chocolate that it has consumed. From there, you should feed it a small amount of activated charcoal which is known to bind with theobromine thus preventing this element from entering your pet’s bloodstream. Make sure that you give your pet water too so that it remains hydrated.

Bringing your pet to a veterinarian

Apart from trying the tips above, it will also be wise to bring your dog to a veterinarian. He can help the pet triumph such an episode by using anti-convulsants and other types of drugs that can prevent your puppy from having seizures. You cannot discount the expertise of veterinarians in a Pleasantville, NY animal hospital when it comes to treating puppies and dogs that have accidentally taken chocolate. Keep safe, folks!